Thursday, December 30, 2010

Mama Took My Kodachrome Away

After 75 years, Kodachrome film will be no more. This afternoon, the last Kodachrome processing lab in the world, located in Kansas, stopped accepting rolls to be developed.

Paul Simon said it all in his song "Kodachrome":


Kodachrome
You give us those nice bright colors
You give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah!
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

I'll miss you Kodachrome. Since 1965 you have bestowed upon me beautiful prints in magnificent color. But, like the push-button phone, Polaroid instant images and the cassette tape, you have been put to death by advancements in technology. The guilty party that sent you to your grave - the digital camera.
Goodbye, old friend. Paul Simon and I shall miss you.

No comments: